TL;DR If you are looking to publish your mobile apps in China, you need to get the China Software Copyright Certificates.
What is a Software Copyright Certificate?
The Software Copyright Certificate (“SCC”, or “计算机软件著作权”) is used to prove and protect the copyright of your software or mobile app in mainland China. The certificate shows the certificate ID, the name of the software (application), and the company that owns the certificate.
FAQ about Software Copyright Certificate:
Is Software Copyright Certificate a trademark?
No, but it shows the ownership of the software to the Chinese app stores.
Can I still use the Software Copyright Certificate if I change the name?
No, you need to apply for a new certificate.
Why do I need a Software Copyright Certificate for China?
You must show this certificate when you publish your apps in Chinese app stores.
Tip: China’s leading Android app store is Huawei App Market, not Google Play Store.
Due to the massive number of unauthorized apps distributed in local Chinese app stores back then, the Copyright Center of China used the Software Copyright Certificate to remove unauthorized copies of your app using the same or similar names.
Will my current copyright certificate from the west work in China?
No. You need to apply for your copyright and trademark in China to get it protected within mainland China.
Who can apply for a Software Copyright Certificate?
Anyone. But keep in mind the filing process and reviewing process are conducted in Chinese. If you are unfamiliar with the process, it could take forever to approve it.
How many Software Copyright Certificates do I need?
The golden rule is one Software Copyright Certificate per app.
How long does it take to receive a Software Copyright Certificate?
It needs 30+ working days after the application is accepted. If you are new to this procedure or plan to do it yourself, the estimated time is 1 to 2 months because preparing the required material takes time and is not easy to get right at first.
Why do I need to provide a source code sample to register a Software Copyright Certificate?
It is the required procedure by the Copyright Protection Center of China. The intention is to show you own the software or the app. During the application review process, the reviewer will assess the sample codes and the software manual you submitted, and all that will be part of the proof you own the software. The SCC also serves as your protection for your software in China.
Can I get a Software Copyright Certificate if I’m not a Chinese company?
Yes. The copyright owner can be a foreign company or a legal person. Still, you must submit legal proof certified by the local Chinese consulate or notarized by the local notary office.
How can we help you?
We help companies’ apps and websites perform faster and fully compliant in China.
Clients like Bottega Veneta, Ethereum, Netlify, and many others have partnered with us to support their services and clients in China.
Contact us today, and our experts will explain all you need to know to get mobile apps to publish in China legitimately.
- How to Successfully Launch Your WeChat Mini Program or Game in China (2023 Updated)
- Achieving China Compliance: A Guide to Filing Trademarks
- Translating Your App for the Chinese Market: A Comprehensive Guide to Ensuring Compliance
- How to Ensure Your Mobile App or Game Complies with Chinese Regulations
- How To Obtain a Mobile App ICP Filing Number in China
- How To Publish My Game In China
- Content Restrictions and Requirements For Publishing Games In China
- Mobile App ICP Filing Process Unveiled by Ministry of Industry and Information Technology
- China Implements Stricter Regulations on Internet Comment Services
- Breaking Through the Great Firewall: How to Keep Your Online Forms Accessible in China Without ReCAPTCHA
- Tips for Businesses Looking to Sell Products in China: How to Start and Where to Start
- Cross-Border Data Transfers: PIPL vs. GDPR vs. CCPA
- What is data privacy?
- Baidu Tieba - build brand reputation and improve search engine optimization in China!
- A Guide to Baidu PPC Advertising in China 2023
- Why has my app been deleted from Chinese app stores, and how can I fix it? (2023 Update)
- 15 Tips on How to Make a Website Load Faster
- Baidu vs Google
- Baidu Wangpan Guide
- How To Create A Little Red Book Brand Account And Store?
- How To Sell Products to China via WeChat?
- China SEO Guide (2023 Updated)
- Top App Stores in China
- How to Publish My Mobile App in China: A Comprehensive Guide
- How to register a .cn domain?
- Trademark registration in China
- How to Do Baidu SEO (Baidu Search Engine Optimization) Ultimate Guide 2023
- Best CDN for China
- What is the China ICP License, and How do I get one?
- Your Netlify Solution for China
- How To Get an ICP (B25) License In China?
- How Much Does It Cost to Host a Website in China?
- Didi fined $1.2 billion for breaking China Data Security Laws
- 5 Obligations You Must Follow To Make Your Website Compliant With Chinese Law
- Does Vimeo Work in China?
- How to Host Your Website in China (2022)?
- How to Make Your E-commerce Site Compliant with China's GDPR
- Top 3 University in Asia Use 21YunBox to help their Reach in China
- The Impact of China's New Personal Privacy Law on International Organizations
- US Largest Lighter Delivers Site 8x Faster with 21YunBox
- Untold facts about ICP for China and why you should get it.
- 5 Steps to Make Static Sites Live in China
- How 21YunBox Helped Commune Lifestyle Launch in China
- Cloudinary Alternatives in China
- How to Make Netlify Work in China?
- How to Improve the Access Speed of Vercel in China?
- ICP Filing (aka Domain Name Filing, Website Filing)
- ICP Getting Started
- Top-level domain Available for China ICP Filing
- DNS Configuration for Sites Deployed with 21YunBox
Shopify China: A Comprehensive Guide to Making Your Store Thrive in the Chinese Market (2024 Updated)
Jan 7, 2024
Unleashing Heroku's Full Potential in China for Web Applications: A Practical Guide (2023 Update)
Dec 3, 2023
Your Ultimate Guide to Launching Apps on Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and Tencent Stores
Dec 1, 2023
Unlocking Success: A Comprehensive Guide to B2B Marketing in China
Nov 17, 2023
How to Successfully Launch Your WeChat Mini Program or Game in China (2023 Updated)
Nov 11, 2023