Netlify does not work out-of-the-box in China. This article explains how to accelerate your Netlify site in China, compliantly.
Introduction to China’s Web Ecosystem
To understand why your Netlify site might be having issues in China, let’s take a step back to understand how China’s web ecosystem is different than the rest of the world.
Typically tech teams are focused on building and optimizing web apps. Meanwhile, the legal department takes care of legal requirements to ensure your site is fully compliant.
However, the technology and legal aspects in China are not mutually exclusive.
For example, to deploy any content to mainland China, you need a special license issued by the Chinese government, called an ICP. Without this license in place, viewers in China will be unable to access your site.
Issues with Foreign Tech in China
Many popular technologies we use daily such as Github, Google, Twitter, and others, don’t work in mainland China.
Just as the Great Wall once protected China from the Mongol hordes, the Great Firewall now ‘protects’ Chinese netizens from the perils of foreign influence. Any website operating in mainland China must be subject to the China Communist Party’s (CCP) oversight and censorship.
The only way the CCP can ensure this is if those websites are hosted on Chinese servers requiring special licenses.
The CCP cannot regulate or order a website hosted outside mainland China to be changed. So their solution is the Great Firewall – they simply block things they don’t like and track any users attempting to distribute or access such data.
Which means hosting outside China doesn’t comply with Chinese laws and tends to be highly unstable and might subject to be blocked without prior notice. This is why you see sites perform 5-10x slower in mainland China.
How to Accelerate a Netlify Site to China:
21YunBox partnered with Netlify to bring Netlify users a simple and compliant solution to accelerate your organization’s site in China.
Now lets look at the two steps required to get your Netlify site working in China.
1. Get The Site Compliant in China
To deploy a website to China, you are required to have a Chinese Entity, domain registered in China, and valid ICP.
You can get servers and optimize your site for China, but port 80/ 443 will be blocked without a valid ICP in place, making the site inaccessible to the public in China.
If you don’t have the Chinese entity, domain, or ICP, don’t worry. 21YunBox can help.
21YunBox has a team of experts in China to do all the heavy lifting to help you get a valid ICP and depoy your site in China. The process usually takes 3-4 weeks.
Once you have a valid ICP, you are ready to deploy your Netlify site live in China.
2. Netlify + 21YunBox Plugin
The Netlify + 21YuBox Plug-in takes deploying to China to the next level. It allows you to deploy your site to China directly from your Netlify Dashboard using a CI/CD pipeline.
This plug-in pulls the built Netlify site over the Great Firewall of China and deploys it in China on 21YunBox’s multi-cloud China Edge.
The build CI/CD pipeline works automatically when the Netlify + 21YB integration plug-in is in place. So any time a user commits an update on Github, the site will be updated in a few minutes in China.
How to Setup the Netlify + 21YunBox Plug-in:
Once you have a valid ICP, you are ready to setup the Netlify + 21YunBox Plug-in and CI/CD pipeline.
Step 1: Link your Netlify Site with 21YunBox
Step 2: Add an Integration Token to your Netlify Site:
Step 3: Install Netlify + 21YunBox Plugin
Step 4: Deploy Site to China
Netlify Solution for China Test Results
To show the results of the Netlify acceleration boost, we ran two China speed tests. First, the image on the left was a test site deployed on Netlify. Then image on the right is the same site, but deployed in China with 21YunBox.
The test results shows the Netlify site went from mostly orange and red (slow & unstable) to all green (fast & stable) by using the Netlify solution for China.
If you have questions or want to get started on accelerating your Netlify site in China, click here to Get Started.
- Best CDN for China
- How to Improve Heroku's Access Speed in China?
- What is the China ICP License, and How do I get one?
- How to improve Github Pages' Access Speed in China?
- How To Get an ICP License In China?
- How Much Does It Cost to Host a Website in China?
- Didi fined $1.2 billion for breaking China Data Security Laws
- 5 Obligations You Must Follow To Make Your Website Compliant With Chinese Law
- How to Host Your Website in China(2022)?
- How to Make Your E-commerce Site Compliant with China's GDPR
- Top 3 University in Asia Use 21YunBox to help their Reach in China
- The Impact of China's New Personal Privacy Law on International Organizations
- US Largest Lighter Delivers Site 8x Faster with 21YunBox
- Untold facts about ICP for China and why you should get it.
- 5 Steps to Make Static Sites Live in China
- How 21YunBox Helped Commune Lifestyle Launch in China
- Cloudinary Alternatives in China
- Best Firebase Alternative for China
- How to Improve Gatsby Cloud's Access Speed in China?
- How to Improve the Access Speed of Surge.sh in China?
- How to Make Netlify Work in China?
- How to Improve the Access Speed of Vercel in China?
- ICP Filing (aka Domain Name Filing, Website Filing)
- ICP Getting Started
- Top-level domain Available for China ICP Filing
- DNS Configuration for Sites Deployed with 21YunBox
Best CDN for China
Nov 23, 2022
China SEO Guide (2022 Updated)
Nov 8, 2022
How to Deploy Laravel Apps in China? (2022 updated)
Nov 1, 2022
How to make Shopify work in China?(2022 Updated)
Nov 1, 2022
How to Improve Heroku's Access Speed in China?
Oct 26, 2022